2.5 ECTS Montpellier Year 2 Semester 3 Elective Tool 13
- Provide basis for the conception, functioning and potential applications of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for the management of environmental resources and forests.
- Bring practical experience of a GIS software for the conception, design and use of a spatial database for natural resources management.
- Develop skills for the assessment and expression of needs in GIS, and provide knowledge on what is possible to do with such a tool in a professional environment.
- Introduction to GIS: concepts and functions; basic data models
- Geographic databases and geo-referencing, projections systems
- Relational databases: entity relation-model; conceptual, logic and operational models; SQL language
- Links between GIS and relational databases
- Data capturing and organization
- Vector analysis
- Map design.
- GIS implementation (QGIS software) from data related to natural ecosystems management.
By the end of the unit, students should be able to
- explain the principles of GIS for applications in rural resource management
- use a database management system to design and implement a database for forest resource management
- use GIS software to complete a number of rural resource exercises, design a GIS model, enter data and complete a number of queries relevant to forest resources management.
This course does not provide skills of remote sensing.
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures and practical work (total: 24h)
Type of assessment
- Written exam
- Location : Montpellier
- ECTS granting : AgroParisTech
- Organisation : AgroParisTech